The Loggiato dei Servi di Maria is located in Piazza Santissima Annunziata. The construction, commissioned by the Servi di Maria order and designed by Antonio da Sangallo il Vecchio and Baccio d’Agnolo, began in the period between 1516 and 1525. The project of the structure was done in respect of that of the Ospedale degli Innocenti (located in front of it), built a century before by Filippo Brunelleschi.
The loggiato consists of an arc joining a series of houses each of which corresponds to one span. The house construction was very complex and lasted over the centuries until 1720 when the works were completed. In the mid-nineteenth century the complex was purchased by the Budini Gattai family and transformed into apartments. In 1984 the owner family started a two-year conservative restoration (carried out on a project by the architect Roberto Budini Gattai) that brought to light the sixteenth and eighteenth-century structures, partially modified over the centuries. Today the building houses the Hotel Loggiato dei Serviti and private houses.
The columns of the loggia, the external arches, the corbels, the window and door frames the loggia are in Pietra Serena Sandstone; the tympanums and window frames, the decorations and the string courses above the loggia are in Pietra Serena Sandstone from Firenzuola (Firenze). The entire structure is finished with Plaster. The steps of the entrance stairway are realized in Pietra Serena Sandstone. In the external loggia there are rounds realized with painted Plaster (marked by the S of the the Servi di Maria order) with finishing in Pietra Serena Sandstone.